Antonio Zugaldia review


  • NFC Ring Team

    Read the Review, can someone help him out getting started?

    I have a feeling he hasn't really got much of a clue about what he bought ;\



  • I looked at this the day you posted it...went back just now to see comments.
    I see he added the word Edit to his post but still left the don't by it.
    This guy is a fool for posting anything without getting with you first...I mean, come on..the inlays weren't installed in the ring...
    yet still he refuses to edit his mistakes....JMO


  • Community Helper

    We actually have a lot of backers thinking the inlays weren't installed. @johnyma22 you should point the additional inlays out in your next KS update.



  • That's the problem, though, as lots of people aren't following the updates on KS or probably even ignoring the emails that are being sent out. I agree that John should probably mention this in another update, but he's only repeating himself when he could be spending that time on other things.

    I believe in an earlier update John already mentioned that they would be including a couple of previous inlays as freebies for all backers. (IIRC these previous inlays were too large for the rings, so the team had to redesign narrower inlays to fit in the ring). The problem with crowdsourcing websites now is that people use it like a shopping catalogue, not as an actual method to help up and coming entrepreneurs and geniuses get their ideas and businesses off the ground. A prime example is that person who recently posted in the KS Comments section practically demanding a ring without recognizing any of the team's hard work.


  • NFC Ring Team

    Will mention it again in an update :) Will be recording one today anyway..

    So far content is:

    • additional inlays in package
    • telling people to get onto the forum and about single sign on
    • Once you recieve your ring you can register your unlock app w/ nfc ring control (In Beta)
    • You can reset your unlock app password using a url: https://me.nfcring.com/validationCodeReset


  • I saw the review, and think that people being confused by the extra inlays is a sign that (a) not everyone religiously follows the updates, (b) there's no information in the packaging to tell them what they are and (c) if the ring worked as expected they wouldn't jump to the conclusion that those inlays they have are the 'real' ones and they've not been put in the ring.

    I myself am quite nervous about getting my rings, because hanging around in the forum I see a lot of people having problems with them being read and the advice being to 'adjust your expectation'. My expectation was pretty much of a ring that acted like the original KS promo video in that I'd be wearing the ring, and when I held it up to the back of my phone it unlocked it. Now the reality is that a lot of phones won't have this user experience and the only way to get a read is to roll the ring horizontally or vertically and to basically be patient. Very good technical reasons are given that cover the science of antennas, security issues, the imprecision of phones and all sorts of other things - but basically I imagine a lot of people are like me and just expected to wear a ring, hold it to back of phone and unlock. The people that don't have this experience will be disappointed, and I see that review as an example of someones disappointment.

    That said, I also know that people that are happy with their product are much less vocal - so as I say, I am just nervous not doom-saying!


  • Community Helper

    @shama I can understand the feeling as regards me constantly telling people that they need to re-think what they're expecting to be able to do with the rings.
    The problem as I see it is that the rings work perfectly, and for the most part exactly as shown in John's videos if not better, unfortunately the way people treat their phones and the different environments and behaviours can greatly affect how it's going to turn out for each individual and their device. You're right, the most vocal ones are the ones with the issues and it can seem like there are more problems than there really are. But I'd say that for every person who has issues there are 20 who don't understand what the fuss is about because they're doing fine with it all.
    All it boils down to in the end though is that you'll get a great ring that's passed QA and should by rights work. If it doesn't work then it may be because you're phone is slightly out of kilter, fix that and it's all working.
    If it's because your phone is one of the rare slightly picky ones then you can try the rolling method. And trust me, that becomes second nature after a few tries and on top of that the longer you use the ring the more used to it you'll get and the more skilled you will be as a Ring Ninja.
    And if all else fails then you can get in contact with support and request an Alpha, with it's bigger antenna and closer match making it easy to read for even the most recalcitrant phone.
    Some people though seem to be slightly confused and think that it will work just the same as your common or garden variety key ring fob mifare and that's just not going to happen, the close contact and small sweet spot has been a much discussed feature from day one of the kickstarter. Some people are just bad at doing more than skimming through the details!
    I'm also honestly confused at the ones who try everything and fail, must have issues with their phones and yet get a little crazed when that's suggested - if it was my phone I'd want to fix it so it worked properly! It's kinda like adding more pretty chrome and bolt-ons to a car with massive rust holes in it to my way of thinking. Fix the problems first and the rest becomes easy!


  • Community Helper

    @johnyma22 would it be a good idea to send out an email update "What are these extra inlays, who's been sleeping in my bed and where's my porridge?"


  • NFC Ring Team

    We're trying to keep updates to a max of every 2 weeks just to avoid spamming people. Still, that's a damn fine title ;)


  • Community Helper

    Thanks, I'm suitably proud. ;-)
    I'm just of a mind that it might be easier to nip that one in the bud before people get hooked into the idea that there's something wrong with their shiznit. Besides, there's plenty of complaint that there aren't enough updates. It'd serve 'em right.



  • @Lokki said:

    I'm also honestly confused at the ones who try everything and fail, must have issues with their phones and yet get a little crazed when that's suggested - if it was my phone I'd want to fix it so it worked properly! It's kinda like adding more pretty chrome and bolt-ons to a car with massive rust holes in it to my way of thinking. Fix the problems first and the rest becomes easy!

    It doesn't help though that other tags do work for them - even the extra ones (the ones not put in their ring :))
    So it can be hard to believe that your phone is at fault when actually all other NFC tags/devices work just fine. If the one device that doesn't work is the ring then it's easy to see why they'd blame the ring rather than their phone. As things have progressed it has become clear that the tolerance built into a phone for NFC handling are obviously a lot more lenient than those of the ring. You could say that is a fault with the phone, but if every other NFC tag works fine it could validly be argued it is the ring that is at fault.

    Anyway, I've got an alpha in my collection so I'm hoping I'll get at least one easy-to-use ring from my collection. It would appear to be a lucky dip when it comes to my phone though (Nexus 5), but I am also one of those people who doesn't use a case so at least I have that in my favour! Naked all the way baby.


  • Community Helper

    porridge? Where? give it to me! ;-P


  • Community Helper

    actually I have to admit it sucks if you receive a Q/A failed ring. I have Q/A issues with mine (optics) but I know its difficult to do fast and proper Q/A. It's always a tradeoff between time spent and quality.
    I think they are doing a great job based on the amount of Q/A complaints here in the forum. I think most complains are because of false usage or older phones (having bad NFC). As a Swiss guy I always opt for quality (The Swiss way to do :-) So please keep that in mind when you send me my replacement @johnyma22 ;-)

    Edit: added all the missing words ;-)


  • Community Helper

    @shama said:

    It doesn't help though that other tags do work for them - even the extra ones (the ones not put in their ring :))
    So it can be hard to believe that your phone is at fault when actually all other NFC tags/devices work just fine. If the one device that doesn't work is the ring then it's easy to see why they'd blame the ring rather than their phone. As things have progressed it has become clear that the tolerance built into a phone for NFC handling are obviously a lot more lenient than those of the ring. You could say that is a fault with the phone, but if every other NFC tag works fine it could validly be argued it is the ring that is at fault.

    Anyway, I've got an alpha in my collection so I'm hoping I'll get at least one easy-to-use ring from my collection. It would appear to be a lucky dip when it comes to my phone though (Nexus 5), but I am also one of those people who doesn't use a case so at least I have that in my favour! Naked all the way baby.

    Yeah, that's where the major confusion comes into it, when it seems like it should be working but simply isn't.
    NFC as it is, is still a rather young technology to the phone manufacturers and I suspect they're still feeling their way through things a bit. I tend towards it being a fault in the phone because the NFC element should be set to a certain sensitivity and if it's not for whatever reason then the issue is the phone/NFC element.

    I keep forgetting you said you were getting the collection, that should make things easier for you.
    Less chance that 'nothing' will work!


  • Community Helper

    @Lafunamor said:

    actually I have to admit it sucks if you receive a Q/A failed ring. I have Q/A issues with mine (optics) but I know its difficult to do fast and proper Q/A. It's always a tradeoff between time spent and quality.
    I think they are doing a great job based on the amount of Q/A complaints here in the forum. I think most complains are because of false usage or older phones (having bad NFC). As a Swiss guy I always opt for quality (The Swiss way to do :-)

    Yeah, I can understand the upset, especially when an appearance issue compounds a 'not work' issue.
    That's always the worst thing, trying to regain focus on what is at heart a phone issue while steering them towards a return query for the visual fault.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to NFC Ring Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.