Logging into desktop


  • Community Helper

    @jasok2 said:

    I was able to use the software and my NFC on my Lenovo laptop successfully so the software might work on your tablet.

    what exactly did you do? sounds like it could work with different devices without buying a NFC Express reader



  • @Lafunamor In my case, I installed the NFC Express application that @jasok2 linked (thanks btw!), then I installed the Android version on my phone. From the Android version I configured the Windows 8 Unlock to my Microsoft credentials, held the phone up to my tablet and tapped the screen when I heard the "device found and ready" sounds from my phone. Once I tapped the screen, my tablet was automatically logging me in and I didn't have to do anything else.

    That said, I can't get the NFC Express application to do anything without the Asus hardware itself (as I expected). It seems to require that you have the Asus USB receiver plugged in. It says "NFC function is not available. Ensure that the NFC Express Box is connected to your computer and the driver is installed".

    But it's a start



  • @Lafunamor said:

    @jasok2 said:

    I was able to use the software and my NFC on my Lenovo laptop successfully so the software might work on your tablet.

    what exactly did you do? sounds like it could work with different devices without buying a NFC Express reader

    @Lafunamor

    I plugged the ASUS NFC express physical unit into both my desktop with a supported ASUS motherboard and my lenovo laptop (which is unsupported but still worked)
    and installed the ASUS driver and the Asus software on both. I only have one ASUS NFC express so had to do it one at a time.

    IT worked in both cases, however it writes a record to the NFC tag (Same deal as with the NFC ring official unlock app), so you cannot use the same tag to unlock both devices.

    The unexpected goodness is that it worked on the lenovo Thinkpad, so possibly it will work on other non ASUS systems too.

    I'm hoping over time that instead of writing to the NFC chip all NFC unlock apps will in future just read the tag without writing to it, so the one tag (ring) can unlock many devices.

    Cheers


  • Community Helper

    just to throw it out: it's way less save if you only use the tags UID to log in. there are tags available where you can easily set the UID yourself. this means one can copy your tags UID and create a second key.

    @jasok2 Thanks I thought so but wasn't sure



  • @Lafunamor said:

    just to throw it out: it's way less save if you only use the tags UID to log in. there are tags available where you can easily set the UID yourself. this means one can copy your tags UID and create a second key.

    @jasok2 Thanks I thought so but wasn't sure

    Really ?? Damn your giving me second thoughts about installing my new SHS-1321 door lock as I'm pretty sure it just reads the card.


  • Community Helper

    @Lafunamor said:

    just to throw it out: it's way less save if you only use the tags UID to log in. there are tags available where you can easily set the UID yourself. this means one can copy your tags UID and create a second key.

    This is true, and the SHS series locks read UID - it gives you the advantage of being able to alter the card storage without losing your entry privileges.
    It is possible to clone UID, but the cards are expensive to do this and the person first has to get a good read of your inlays ID in order to be able to do it.
    At that point they're more likely to break into your house through a window or your computer through a similar back-door method.

    Weigh it up yourselves, whether you'd prefer to be paranoid as all hell (because your data is important enough to warrant it) or whether ease of use is the best option for you in this instance.
    For the house door, ease of use wins. There are so many many other methods of entry into even the most secure house that a door lock is only ever going to be a mild deterrent.



  • @jasok2
    UPDATE - I have now got my stealth bomber pre-order ring and can confirm that the NFC ring is NOT compatible with ASUS NFC express. I cannot get it to detect the ring at all. Every other tag I have works but I'm guessing that the ring is just too small.


  • Community Helper

    Cool, thanks for the update. Is it a hardware issue do you think or is it that the software is seeing the ntag and dismissing it as not usable?



  • @Lokki said:

    Cool, thanks for the update. Is it a hardware issue do you think or is it that the software is seeing the ntag and dismissing it as not usable?

    I think its hardware, But could be wrong. The NFC express wont make a noise or register the existence of the ring in any way shape or form.



  • @jasok2 said:

    @jasok2
    UPDATE - I have now got my stealth bomber pre-order ring and can confirm that the NFC ring is NOT compatible with ASUS NFC express. I cannot get it to detect the ring at all. Every other tag I have works but I'm guessing that the ring is just too small.

    OK further update. I finally got my Kickstarter Rings and the extra NFC chip that came in the pack actually does work with the ASUS NFC express, but I still cant get the ring to work. This means the NFC chip is actually compatible, if only we can find a way to get it to be more sensitive, this would be a really easy computer unlock solution. And remember I have got it to work on both my Lenovo and ASUS machines.


  • Community Helper

    At a guess I'd say the unit isn't putting out enough RF for the metal enclosed rings to work, which is a real shame. Boosting the power is a hardware hack, and not an easy one.

    You might be better off going sideways and getting an arduino beetle and a PN532 reader.



  • @Lafunamor said:

    Am I understanding you right the unlock app works also with different devices or did you just plug your asus express reader in other devices?

    I plugged the ASUS NFC express unit into my Lenovo Laptop and it worked.



  • @Lokki said:

    At a guess I'd say the unit isn't putting out enough RF for the metal enclosed rings to work, which is a real shame. Boosting the power is a hardware hack, and not an easy one.

    You might be better off going sideways and getting an arduino beetle and a PN532 reader.

    I may do that, I'm just not all that confident in programming it to work.


  • Community Helper

    Well, there is an example up already in another thread that shows how it can work.it just needs to be expanded upon now, maybe with a couple of modes so it can also be used as a reader/writer.


  • NFC Ring Team

    I just ordered another Asus NFC Express to test the 2016 with.. Will post results next week



  • @johnyma22 There are actually two models, the original and a newer one, although from what I can tell is probably the same electronics on the inside as the specs are the same, just a different shape.


  • NFC Ring Team

    2016 NFC Rings work w/ the NFC Express :)



  • What data is stored on the NFC Ring when using NFC express to login into Windows? Any credentials? If so, are they stored in clear text? Does AI Suite store the credentials on the system? If so, encrypted or clear text?

    How I'd like it to work: Credentials are stored encrypted on the system and the nfc tag gets a "password" or key written to it which is the only way to decrypt the information. Of course using secure encryption standards as well as a generally big key on the NFC tag.

    I can't find any information on how it works technically, or rather I can't find where I would find that information if it exists..

    Edit: Also, does it work on Windows 10?

    Edit 2: Or perhaps it could work the other way around, the encrypted data is stored on the NFC tag and the key is stored on the system, when reading the tag it then copies the data to memory and decrypts it with the locally stored key, then logs in, then clears the data from memory. That way it could theoretically work on multiple systems, as long as you have the ability to import keys... But anyway, main concern is how NFC Express actually does do it. :)



  • Its been a while since I had mine working, I actually broke it when i was trying to hack it to work with the 2013 ring. From memory I think it kept a random text string on the ring as a text entry.

    It may have been an encrypted password, sorry I really cant remember, but I can assure you as soon as I get my hands on a 2016 ring I will be buying a new one of these and will update this thread.

    Cheers. Jason

    @SanyaIV said:

    What data is stored on the NFC Ring when using NFC express to login into Windows? Any credentials? If so, are they stored in clear text? Does AI Suite store the credentials on the system? If so, encrypted or clear text?

    How I'd like it to work: Credentials are stored encrypted on the system and the nfc tag gets a "password" or key written to it which is the only way to decrypt the information. Of course using secure encryption standards as well as a generally big key on the NFC tag.

    I can't find any information on how it works technically, or rather I can't find where I would find that information if it exists..

    Edit: Also, does it work on Windows 10?

    Edit 2: Or perhaps it could work the other way around, the encrypted data is stored on the NFC tag and the key is stored on the system, when reading the tag it then copies the data to memory and decrypts it with the locally stored key, then logs in, then clears the data from memory. That way it could theoretically work on multiple systems, as long as you have the ability to import keys... But anyway, main concern is how NFC Express actually does do it. :)



  • I've gotten my NFC Express today and I've tested the login function with the supplied Asus NFC Tag, reading the NFC Tag it seems to store the username and then it seems to store the password but not in cleartext, it's probably a hash or the encrypted password. It also works nicely with Android Smart Lock at the same time without having to rewrite anything, so I can use the same key to unlock my phone and computer (will be handy for when the ring (hopefully) arrives)

    My system is running Windows 10 pro, so I was uncertain whether it would work or not, but it appears that it's working just fine, at least for me. I did have to install the Windows 8.1 drivers but they're seemingly working fine. Although worth noting is that I've only tried the login function so far. So while it may not have official support for Windows 10, it does seem like it works with it.

    Now the only thing missing is a ring. ^-^